Friday, February 24, 2017

Back to the Roots

As I recently moved back to my hometown, it's like entering into a new culture. After living the city life for so long, I laughed as I noticed I didn't know how to slow down here. I bet it takes about a year!!
Some musings on the difference between here and there:

People in the city are out and about more...literally out on porches, working and say hi and strike up a conversation.
In the country, we say HI, but in the suburbs, people are mostly in their house. Whenever I walk, I feel like I am the only one on the planet in the neighborhood.

In the city, I would have guys yell out the window. Here guys, smile and say HI.

City- DIVERSITY. People don't look like me.
Here- not much. People look like me.

Country- When I can go in the backyard, cross the creek, and discover a hiking trail and walk it with my cup of sweet coffee without seeing another soul and seeing many varieties of birds and some deer.
City- When I can get in my car and go to the local coffee shop full of people and see people walking dogs.

Country- Family value. Eating together...the classic meat n potatoes, roast and mashed potatoes meal and always a big pitcher of iced tea, especially on Sundays. Playing games at meal time.
City- Visiting friends houses for meals and visiting cultural events.

Country- In a way, country talk and city talk seem similar. I see my family pace similar to the pace of the culture I came from in the city.

Country...um, Confederate Flags:(.
City....Black Lives Matter Yard Signs

Country...WalMart Clothes shopping
City....Awesome vintage and resale

Country...Hard work, and nice things; wealth
City...more visible poverty

Country- light colors of dress
City- Black dress

Country- absolute quiet at night, stars, and calm
City- Absolute NOISE at night, cars driving by, and busy

Country- BE, BE, BE
City- DO, DO, DO

Country- "them" and conversation with racism twinged statements
City- Positive conversations about racism; honesty

Country- the one and only drive through "Hit N Run" with frozen cherry Pepsi's
City- Café Style QT's

Country- little donut shops and a church on every corner
City- Quaint coffee shops and bakeries on every corner

No comments:

Post a Comment