Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Jesus on a Chain

Walking in the activity center where I used to work today, I am hugged on the leg and greeted by a small person, a cute face asking if I could walk him upstairs. I am busy talking to a teen artist telling me about how he is learning to airbrush and starting his own clothing line. The little guy runs off and I get to listen to a teen who, before, didn't have much motivation for his amazing artwork, now excited about cultivating his gift.

Just around the corner, a little boy with a gold chain comes up to give me a hug. I kneel down to ask him his name and come eye to eye with a person on a medallion on a chain. It looks to me like an Egyptian pharaoh. I ask him what it is, and he says, "Jesus." I ask him to tell me about Jesus, and with wide eyes, he says, "He turned water into wine!" "He parted the water." I ask him if he knew what Jesus thought about kids and told him the story about the disciples telling the kids to get away from Jesus; that they were bothering him. Jesus never was too busy and always had time for the little people thinking they were very special!
"Nuhuh, that's not true!" this little boy says indignantly. "Oh yes it is" I say as I get to tell him it's because kids are special. He is special.

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Luke 16:18

No comments:

Post a Comment