Thursday, March 16, 2017

I can Sing

At the Hope Center the other day and walked in to see a woman packaging honey. Usually, the kitchen is full and busy as we bag up produce to pass out to families in the community. Today, no one was there, except a woman with a big smile on her face. She showed me what to do, and we started talking. I listened to her story as she told about going to prison, then the mental institution and her hopes and dreams for learning again with a 4th grade reading level. She was moving soon, nearer to her family, and was so happy. She asked me if I wanted to hear her songs she made up when she was very low in prison. I listened as she sang...beautiful, peaceful voice. She has a son. "He brings home any color of girlfriend," she says, laughing. We find out we like the same music and listen to some tunes by Yolanda Adams and Donnie McClurkin while we work.
Connection over honey. I think of all the people who are tucked away that nobody sees, with so many hidden gifts and treasures to share with the world.
I was also humbled because I realized how priveleged I was to have had a college education. It also made me think, though, that no degree makes you important, no status, no title. We all have value in God's eyes.

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.-Galatians 3:28

No comments:

Post a Comment