Monday, April 3, 2017

Where Is The Love?


Where is the Love?

Love, ..a choice? I heard someone talk the other day about how love isn't only through words, but actions too. I know it is harder to love those closest to me than strangers...and I wonder to myself, "why?" After having a deep conversation with some friends the other night, it made me think. 
There are some things I have been learning about LOVE lately:

Love can be communication. If I don't communicate, I can only assume. Love takes time to build, as does trust, which feels like that is a huge part of love too...building trust. I don't think I really felt like I had to prove myself as a kid. I just played. As an adult, I see where I live;;;in a performance based society. I know I have to prove myself on the job, and it's been new to learn to NOT perform in down time. Like, doing things just because...just to enjoy. Getting back to digging in the dirt, painting, writing, especially writing.
Love can be...being real, digging up dirt on myself and exposing it because I can relate to you and you can relate to me, as we learn how to grow.
Love is...feeling vulnerable because I've just put myself out there. It doesn't always feel good, but it unites.
I found myself having expectations for people that just weren't being met, and for myself, for that matter. So, it hit me. I'm realizing, it's time to let go of those and just enjoy people for the good qualities. On the phone today, waiting to see if I could get on a payment plan for huge medical bills, and stressed about it, the operator reminded me that it's important to "learn to ask for what you need" as she described a surgery she had that cost her over $50,000!! Learn to ask for what you need. Sometimes, I assume people somehow know that, or they can read my brain or something. Maybe another part of love is asking for what you need, and also knowing what you can give, and can't give. 
Love is...just listening, even when it's a long listen.
Love can be...just taking care of things and respecting every thing and person.
Love is...slowing down to really face people, and not just rush past them.
Love is...accepting myself when I see more of the 'junk', but really being ok with accepting imperfection as perfection.
I feel like people didn't used to be so fast or hurried. It feels a little bit colder, like conversations are just transactions, on the way to somewhere else. WHICH IS WHY I am thankful for friends that talk face to face, without their cell phones in front of them, people that teach me how to learn the art of relaxing, and just being in the world.
As I have had more time at home recently, in between jobs, I have, for the first time ever, experienced what it is like to be...slow, and to face myself. It is not easy, when all around me says to be 'something," I have to be fast, always producing, and busy. 
Yet, the learning lessons when you slow down are huge. The beauty in drinking iced tea in the sunshine, resting, and destroying the mental myth that this is lazy. I'm still learning how to accept my own culture, for some reason, but it is a process. 
Oh yeah, and love can be...just the mundane..making it special.

When was the last time you turned the phone off and just focused on someone else?

What is one thing you did today that was slow?

How do you feel when you slow down?

What is one thing that inspires you?

Love, 

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment